Enchiladas Roja con Pollo
8 enchiladas; 350F degrees; 2 hours; 🌶 1/5
# Ingredients & Tools
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 small cans of tomato sauce
- 3 small cans of water
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 oz chili powder
- course sea salt
- a lot of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
1. Start boiling a large pot of water. In another pot, whisk the butter and flour into a roux on medium heat.
2. Whisk each can of tomato sauce into the roux slowly
3. Refill the cans with water and whisk into the sauce.
4. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
5. Simmer on low for an hour and a half.
6. Add course sea salt to the water, chili powder, and chicken breasts. Boil until chicken is 160 degrees.
7. Strain the chicken breasts and rest until cool. Shred with your hands.
* Pause until your sauce and chicken are done.
8. Heat a small skillet with the vegetable oil on medium heat.
9. Cook each tortilla for 15 seconds on each side so they're still bendable but crispy. Rest on paper towels to soak remaining oil.
10. Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
11. Build each enchilada individually in a medium ceramic/glass pan - place the tortilla flat, add chicken, spoonful of sauce, cheese, onions, then fold tortilla and close with a toothpick.
12. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas, and top with more cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is toasty.
13. Rest for 10 minutes and serve with some borracho beans, and spanish rice. Don't forget to remove the toothpicks before you eat.